What is Lease Automatic Custody Transfer (LACT)
S&S Technical is a leading global supplier of LACT Units for the petroleum and crude oil midstream markets.
L.A.C.T. stands for Lease Automatic Custody Transfer and refers to the transfer of crude oil or any other petroleum product from one owner to another.
The ‘Lease’ references the agreement between the two entities. The ‘Automatic’ aspect refers to the automated nature of the transaction, and ‘custody transfer’ simply refers to the transport of crude oil or other petrol product via a measurement process that is certified by Weights and Measures.
The process of moving crude oil or petroleum from one owner to the next can take place multiple times between the wellhead and the product’s final destination. While the process is simple enough, the custody transfer portion requires accuracy down to the hundredth of a gallon. The larger the discrepancy the larger the loss of revenue becomes.
Correct sizing of the pump is a key consideration in the accuracy and efficiency of the transfer. An undersized pump can slow the transfer process down, while an oversized pump can cause cavitation which could draw in air, creating bubbles within the system, reducing the accuracy of the meter and potentially damaging the pump.
LACT Unit Major Components:
- Open skid frame with industrial grade powder coating;
- Centrifugal or positive displacement (PD) pump;
- BS&W (Basic Sediment and Water) probe with monitor;
- Back Pressure Valve;
- Inline basket strainer with air eliminator;
- Double Block and Bleed (DB&B) Valve;
- Prover connection lines with isolation valves;
- Pressure Gauges;
- Weights and Balance Approved Meter;
- Electrical Control Panel with Automation / HMI Controls;
- ASME B31.3 pipework with X-Ray weld quality certification.
LACT Unit Optional Features:
- Emergency Stop Device (ESD);
- High capacity air eliminator;
- Control Panel Overhead Canopy;
- Skid drip pan & drain connection;
- Loading / Unloading vapor recovery lines;
- Fiberglass insulated cold weather enclosure / building;
- Temperature Instrumentation;
- Data Printer.
Industry Standards Met:
- Pipe fabrication to ASME Section IX standards B31.3, B31.4;
- Pipe fabrication to ASME standards;
- Structural steel designed to AWS standards;
- Pressure vessel ASME standards.
Advantages of using S&S Technical:
- Full in-house one-stop-shop experience. Our mechanical and electrical engineers use the latest 2 and 3D CAD and SolidWorks software to design every system;
- Integrated Process Automation Controls, PLC’s and HMI’s;
- ASME Pipe fabrication, assembly, and testing are all done at our facility just north of Atlanta, Georgia;
- Turnkey systems provide a single point of contact for your entire project;
- All systems are FAT (Factory Acceptance Tested) in house and will meet all safety, government and industry regulations our clients project may require;
- Single point of contact for technical support, operator training and start up commissioning;
- Complete set of manuals for every piece of equipment and system;
- Reduced installation and start up time – ready to move product shortly after arriving on site;
- Reduced delivery lead times, project costs, improved accuracy.
Give us a call today at (678) 250-9507 to learn more about Lease Automatic Custody Transfer (LACT) Units for your upcoming project or facility.